01 02 03 Amanda in Waste-Free Land: 2016 Rubbish Update: 6 Months of Trash 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

2016 Rubbish Update: 6 Months of Trash

34
Our rubbish bin contents from January to mid June
I mentioned at the beginning of the year that we (the BF & I) were now keeping track of our rubbish in a small bin we kept in our room. Looking back at that blog post, which was our December 2015 rubbish update it is really interesting for me to see how far we have come. I figured it was time I give an update on our rubbish progress for the year. I actually sorted and took photos of our trash back in mid June, so this update is for the first 6 months of the year only. There was a bit of a delay in writing this post, mainly cause I took a few holidays and then procrastinated this post while I wrote the others. My apologies!

Firstly, what is NOT in the bin?


Here is the (landfill) trash we generated over the first 6 months of the year:

Soft Plastics

I have kept all of our soft plastics for the year, I will take these to the nearest supermarket to be shipped to Melbourne as part of the REDcycle programme. I try and avoid soft plastics at all costs, as sending my plastic overseas is not the best option. However soft plastics are particularly good at finding their way in to your home. For instance; the Auckland University alumni magazine comes plastic wrapped (does anyone know how to unsubscribe from this?). We have also received a few packages in plastic courier bags, and the BF's distilling sugars and yeasts often come in soft plastic or plastic foil.

Soft plastics from 7 months (plastic ruler for scale; this ruler is about 14 years old!)
Unfortunately the second half of the year has not gotten off to a good start so far. I accidentally was given a takeaway coffee cup, I got a really bad cold and my annual hut pass expired so I am now using single use hut tickets.
Riley & I with our trash audit from January to June. 

EDIT: One of my fellow UOA alumni has informed me how to change my subscription to Ingenio the Alumni magazine. Update your info here https://www.alumni.auckland.ac.nz/en/update-your-details.html I switched my preferences to electronic copy only.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37